Schreiber-Bogen Card Modelling Castle Church Wittenberg


Item number 758

Item ID 403005059


* excl. Shipping

Card Modelling

Castle Church Wittenberg

In the immediate vicinity of the castle of Wittenberg stood the All Saints' chapel since 1340. Because of dilapidation, Elector Frederick the Wise 1489-1509 had castle and chapel demolished and a new castle residence with church built. The building and equipment included famous artists such as Lucas Cranach the Elder, Albrecht Dürer and Tilman Riemenschneider. The new castle church was consecrated to all saints in 1503 and was a university church from 1507 onwards. Here, students received their doctoral thesis. Academic dignitaries of the university were set up here.
The castle church is well-known by the reformist Martin Luther. From 1508 he studied theology in Wittenberg and became a doctor of theology in 1512. He later taught at Wittenberg University. In October 1517 Martin Luther published 95 theses against the indulgences of the church. Tradition has it, that he put them up at the main portal of the castle church. After his long stay at the Wartburg, he often returned to Wittenberg to preach in the castle church
. In 1525 the Protestant church service was held in the castle church. In the same year, Elector Frederick the Wise, a great supporter of Martin Luther, died. He was buried in the castle church. The tombs of Martin Luther and Philipp Melanchthon can also be seen in the castle church.

 

Length: 38 cm
Width: 18 cm
Height: 44 cm
Difficulty: 2
Sheets: 7,5
Scale: 1:200
Suited for children: -

Ähnlich

Item reviews


Loading reviews...