Nymphenburg Palace Munich
Colored cardboard model to cut out and paste together!
Material: paper, cardboard
Number of sheets: 6,5
Additionally required: paper scissors, glue
Useful Tools: scalpel, small clamps and needles for fixing
Manufacturer classifies the models in 5 levels of difficulty:
"Child model": very easy and with childlike motives
"0": Beginner model
"2": Moderately difficult
Nymphenburg Palace Munich
The popular summer residence of Bavarian rulers, today attracts many visitors who go to the palace buildings and the park with its pavilions designed in the time of Baroque, Rococo and Classicism. Five princes of the House of Wittelsbach have contributed to this magnificent building. The groundbreaking ceremony took place in 1664. Elector Ferdinand Maria of Bavaria gave his wife on the birth of an heir the land on which the current castle resides. The Princess continued her idea to build a villa here, with the help of the architect Agostino Barelli from northern Italy. Barelli had already built the Munich Theater Church. In 1675 the roof of the palace was set up, which still stands in the center of the entire system. Looking at pictures of this first phase, the castle has little palatial se. Instead, the five-story, blocky building is in the style of a suburban villa. Two symmetrical helical side stairs leading to the main entrance. The castle then got a interior design, which has remained essentially the same until today. At the center of the palace is the Stone Saal. The Elector and the Electress inhabited two opposing suites. After the death of the Electress Henriette in 1676, the interior design went on with plasterwork, murals and tapestries. The son of the royal couple, Max Emanuel, wanted the castle extended by symmetrically arranged side pods to the main building. The builder for this extension was the Italian Enrico Zucalli. All other buildings of the castle followed this principle: a loose arrangement of symmetrical buildings, which are interconnected, open to the spacious park. After Zucalli had died (1724), Joseph Effner took over the site management as court architect. Next to the main building conversions he created several outbuildings: orangery, stables, farms, etc. Its new main building now bears traits of the new French style that Effner studied while in Paris. Its elegant lattice and band ornaments indicate at the later Rococo of the 50s and 60s. In the years 1723 and 1724 there were two-storey building constructed, which connected the main building with the orangery and the Marstall. On the south side the Comedihaus and in the north, the ballgame house was built. In the last years of the elector Max Emanuel the Magdalenenklause was built which was intended as a place of meditation for the rulers, but during his lifetime could not be completed. Under Karl Albrecht (1726-1745) further extensions to the main building were made, which soon formed a semicircle with this. Under his rule, the idea of a city facility around the Castle came about but was never realized an soon forgotten. Karl Albrecht's favorite architect was François Cuvillies, who built the Amalienburg hunting lodge is considered the German Rococo. Among the subsequent rulers Max III. (1745-1777) and Karl Theodor (1777-1799) there was much less new construction and more renovations carried out on the existing buildings. When Bayern became a kingdom in 1806, much of the initial investment had already been renewed. King Max I stayed very happy in Nymphenburg, and died in his favorite residence. The castle is surrounded in an English style landscape type with lakes, waterfalls, canals, bridges, pavilions, etc.